Saturday, June 15, 2013

Here comes the wedding

I can't help but sit here and think about how in 15 days I will finally be getting married to the love of my life.  Now I know I'm a guy, but I still am just completely overwhelmed by how excited I am.  All these little things keep popping into my head.  I am just so excited to have someone to share moments in life with.  I'm excited to have someone to share in my Christian ministry as well as we continue to serve as a Youth minister and wherever else God calls us too.  Although we have been engaged since October, it seems only now that reality is starting to kick in.  Buying wedding gifts, bow ties, booking hotels, and seeing my wedding suit hang in my closet just blow me away as  I realize that this is actually happening.  My life is about to change in a really big way.  I think that in the middle of this we can become focused on so many different facets of a wedding, that we begin to lose sight of why we are getting married in the first place.  I know why I am marrying Kirsten, and I know why I will always be by her side.  It isn't the butterflies that I have in my stomach when I think about her, it isn't the way that I feel.  As a matter of fact it has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of emotion (although I am filled with so many.)  It all stems back to the fact that first God loved me.  He showed me what true love is.  It isn't based on any feelings we may get in return, but it is completely and utterly selfless.  True love is a love that gives and gives constantly.  It expects nothing in return.  It is draining, but then God fills us up again.  It is exhausting, but then God lifts us up.  I do not love Kirsten because of what she does but because of what God has done.  Thanks to that I know that I will never leave nor forsake her, and the vows I make to her in 15 days on the beach will be vows that I keep for the rest of my life.


No comments: