Friday, June 14, 2013

Two paintings that I did yesterday

In case you were wondering, I decided yesterday to pull of a Lord of the Rings marathon.  It didn't really end up working.  I watched Fellowship extended with the directors commentaries, and then watched disk one of the appendixes.  I found that it was relaxing and very easy to do art work with that playing.  Anyways I did 3 pieces yesterday.  2 watercolors and one for another special event.  I can't show you the last one, but here are the two watercolors.

This is of a Italian balcony watercolor I saw on the internet. I've never done one quite like this so I  thought it would be interesting.  I used a mixture of deep yellow, burnt siene, cream, black, and french marine blue.  I started out by taping the paper down to my board and wetting it.  This is called stretching.  I then really just sat back and waited for it to dry.  When it dried I sketched a quick outline, and then laid a wash of a mixture of deep yellow and cream.  I began working in different mixtures of yellow, creme, and burnt sienna to do the outer wall portion.  For the window sills and lantern I first laid down some mask for hightlights and to preserve my railings.  The bricks are a mixture of blue and black, the window sills deep yellow and burnt sienna.  I removed the mask and painted on my railings and there I was.  I liked the way this turned out.  In retrospect there are a few things I would do differently,but here you are!  Now onto the next one.

I have seen portraits kind of like this one, and I really want to do some of Ray Charles and B.B.King.  With that being said this is my practice for doing one of them.  This painting happened really quick.  I stretched my paper the same was before, and then quickly sketched an outline of a face, two eyes, a nose, and lips.  I painted the details of the lips, nose and eyes, but everything else is splatter paint mostly.  I loaded by brush up with color and splattered it onto the paper, then used a spray bottle to spray it around.  I thought the result was interesting, and I'm looking forward to doing a few more like this.  I liked the way it turned out.  I alway really like using a limited color pallete.  just using the primary's makes for an interesting picture.  








Well that's it for today!  Hope you enjoy them.  Like always, email me at artbyjeremiah09@gmail.com if you need to get in touch with me.  Talk to you later!

No comments: